While upgrading the packages for the Ceph cluster at SANBI, I encountered an issue where the Ceph MDS daemon was causing the CephFS filesystem to become unresponsive and stuck in the
active(laggy) state. I decided to strip down the CephFS deployment and reinstall it, since the existing one was for testing (set up before my time) and I wanted to do the process of setting it up from scratch.
It was surprisingly difficult to find a simple process for removing an MDS, but after I did some digging I ended up using the following:
Replace the things in <> with the appropraite values for your system.
Now you should be able to go ahead and reinstall CephFS on your cluster.